David Hardy has worked for over 40 years in education as lecturer, senior manager, senior civil servant, chief executive of a higher education institution and President of the rectors of Europe’s open universities. In these posts and, since 2002, as a successful international consultant he has been responsible for major reforms to education aimed at meeting the needs of employers in a modern economy.
- Assistant Secretary Department of Education and Science - working directly to ministers responsible for policy to ensure universities, polytechnics and colleges provided the highly qualified manpower needed by business and the economy, 1985 – 1990.
- Member Universities / Polytechnics Standing Committee on Continuing Education, 1986–90.
- Member Inter-Ministerial Review of Highly Qualified Manpower, 1989–90.
- Member Council for National Academic Awards (polytechnic degree awarding body), 1991–92.
- Chief Executive, 1990–2000, Honorary President, 2000–01, Open Polytechnic / Open Learning Foundation – set up to enable a consortium of 40 universities cope with student numbers demanded by the UK government with no diminution in quality. A pioneering institution it had 100,000 students, including overseas, using its materials and systems by year 2000.
- Board member European Association of Distance Teaching Universities, 1993–2001. President 1999–2001 – representing the rectors of European open universities and conventional universities using distance education. Close working relationships with EC Commissioners.
- Chairman., European Open Universities Network BV, 1996–2001 – the trading company of EADTU set up in discussion with the European Union.
- Member European Commission Open and Distance Learning Liaison Committee, 1999–2002.
- Vice President (Europe), International Council for Open and Distance Education, 1999–2002. – affiliated to UNESCO. Close working relationship with UNESCO Vice Presidents.
- Visiting Lecturer Immanuel Kant State University of Russia, 2007–08.
- Member of European Commission High-level expert workshop "Towards an efficient learning ecosystem for European SMEs: Fully exploiting the potential of online training" 2019
- Member European Distance and e-Learning network 2000-present.